Applying For Australian PR After Graduation

Applying For Australian PR After Graduation

Congratulations! You’ve now obtained an Australian Bachelor’s degree and thinking of applying for a Permanent Residency (PR). After investing hundreds of hours studying and thousands of dollars, the big question now is…do you qualify for an Australian PR?

The fact remains that a large percentage of onshore graduates have pursued their courses in Australia with the hope of being able to apply for PR, but many will be disappointed to learn that they fall short of eligibility criteria!
Whether you’re intending to study or about to complete your studies in Australia, this article is of no relevance if you intend to return to your home country to embark on your career. However, if you had the intention of applying after graduating or have simply fallen in love with Australia whilst studying and now wish to live and work here, read on…

Misconception 4: Studying in Australia is the fastest way to get a PR visa.

Finishing your Australian degree does not necessarily mean a quick and easy PR application. The Immigration Authorities still follow a very upfront process of applying a PR visa using a points system. Eligibility will still depend on several factors such as your qualification, work experience, age, English language proficiency, or even employer sponsorship.

The good news is since Australia continues to have high demand for foreign workers, international students are given the chance to stay for a period of up to three months after graduation. If you want to continue living and working in Australia and obtain your PR status, it is your responsibility to ensure that you get the appropriate visa by then. You just need to make sure that you have enrolled in the appropriate and applicable program of study to have a clear pathway to PR.

Visa Option After Graduation

The Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) allows you to live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. You will need to be in the country when you apply for the visa. This visa category has two streams: Graduate Work and Post-Study Work. The Graduate Work stream is applicable for international students who have obtained a qualification that relates to an occupation on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) and that will be granted a maximum stay of 18 months. Post-Study Work stream, on the other hand, is applicable for international students who obtained a higher Australian education degree and that will be granted for up to four years of stay, depending on the applicant’s qualification.

Applying for the Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) is another option as it allows you to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year. The application for first Working Holiday Visa, however, must be made outside of Australia. You will then be given a chance for Second Working Holiday Visa only if you have worked in a regional area for 3 months.

Permanently migrating to Australia and opting for a PR application are really complicated, even after obtaining your Australian degree. If you are currently contemplating of studying in Australia, it is advisable to seek advice from a registered migration agent to discuss your options and the best route you can take.

Call +65 62990245 to book an appointment and meet one of our consultants.